RE: Cold Air Induction-air box

Subject: RE: Cold Air Induction-air box
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:03:53 -0400
        I want to use the silly long NISMO velocity stacks like Calspeed has
on
his car. On his car I can get about 2 fingers between the end of the stack
and
his inner fender. This is not enough-there needs to be at least 1.5 times
the
diameter of the end of the stack in  front of the stack for airflow to not
be
disturbed. I want to use these vel stacks because 1. I already own them and
2.
they should help the midrange of the car.
I want to use the same stacks but now I'm curious about the clearance needed
in front of the velocity stack.  The TWM site states the following;
Clearance dimensions from the tips of the air horns to the inside of the
front panel should be calculated as follows: Measure the inside diameter of
the air horn and divide by four (e.g. diameter of TWM full radius air horn,
excluding the rolled edge is 58 mm, therefore ideal clearance would be 58
divided by 4, i.e. 14.5 mm. ITG's design will permit zero air horn clearance
if loss of efficiency and shortening of foam life are acceptable.
ITG's numbers may be only for their full radius horn.  Prior to reading the
above I thought 1.5 times the horns ID was about right.  Anybody have any
opinions? (there's a dumb question huh?)
Brian