Re: Tires

To: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:59:08 -0400
You can't plug ANY radial tire, steel belted or not!!!!!!!!

Tire design and technology have improved dramatically in the last 30 years
or so. Steel belted tires IMHO are as safe as fiberglass belted tires.

In the mid to late 60s "Fiberglass" was the latest in design technology as
previous tires were rayon and nylon belted and were bias ply for the most
part, except for European cars.

BF Goodrich was the last tire manufacturer to use fiberglass until they were
purchased by Michelin.

Tires have never been safer. How quickly people forget the shitty tires we
had in the 60s. The performance tires produced today for the street are
better than the F1 tires used a few years ago.

The Explorer problem is not related so much to the tires as were Ford's
specifications given to Firestone to save a few $$$$ (yes, Ford gave the
specs to Firestone). Ford also specified lower tire pressures to alleviate
handling problems for a poorly engineered vehicle. Too many idiots never
check their tire pressures and low tire pressure causes more blowouts than
anything.

I have seen guys in my Miata club with only 19 lbs of pressure in their
tires - unfortunately more than one owner - IDIOTS. I suggested to one of
the guys to blow a few $$ on a good tire gauge and he gave me this whining
expression "Do I really have to spend $20+ for tire gauge?"  HEY STUPID,
your Michelin tires cost over 120 each!!! Well I didn't say that but I
wanted to.

Buy what you will but steel belted tires are as good if not better than
fiberglass belted tires although I'm sure the fiberglass tires should be a
softer ride.

FWIW, I never had a problem with a steel belted tire except in the 70s.

Mike