Re: for the cost of an Earl Scheib paint job...

To: CalSpeed@aol.com, plhbauman@earthlink.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: for the cost of an Earl Scheib paint job...
From: Ray Cole <raycole@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:18:44 -0800
Michael,

Jamie and I went through this with our 2000.  It turns out the DMV rule
against you using the black plates is just an internal policy, not law, not
regulation.

We were able to prevail simply by being very persistant and insisting that
they show us the regulations preventing us from usting the black and gold
plates.  They finally admitted that it was a policy and even then, could
not produce it.  We worked with a supervisor and her ultimate solution was
to essentially re-register the car. I think they wanted a copy of a club
list showing we belonged to an organization  (I think there might even be
some kind of roadster club in the Bay Area that almost no-one knows about,
very low key group).  I believe there is very wide lattitude given to the
DMV locations as to this issue.  If you find an individual that will help
you its great, if they don't want to help it is impossible.

I was originally told that the only way to get these plates on the car was
for the legislature to pass a law so do not believe everything a DMV
employee tells you.  Ask for  a supervisor and insist on getting the law or
regulation that prevents you from using those plates.  Eventually they get
tired of seeing you.

It took many trips and phone calls but we now have black and gold plates
(anything else just doesn't look right).

Good luck.

Ray

68 1600
68 2000