Steering box swap out?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering box swap out?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:59:03 -0600
I'm just getting started converting my 67.5 from the stock worn out worm and
peg steering box with solid steering column to a recirculating ball box and
collapsible column.  Who can tell me what parts need to be obtained from the
'70?  I would like to keep the appearance of the 67.5 with respect to the
turn signal stalk being on the left and the ignition switch on the right.

I know that I need:
        Steering box
        Steering shaft w/U-joint
        Steering column support (under instrument panel)

What about the idler arm?   Is it different?  Any of the tie rods need to be
swapped out?

I understand that the steering shaft for the later box is larger in diameter.
Do I need to change the hole through the firewall to take the larger size shaft?

I don't mind doing machine work to make things fit the way I want them, so
please let me know what I have in store for me so I can see how far I want
go with this conversion.

I would REALLY like to get the collapsible column installed, but if I can't get
the ignition switch and turn signal switch where they are on the early car, I
may just change out the steering box.  I know that would require some
additional machining to get the shaft coupled up to the box, but I can deal
with that.

Thanks for your help.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885