Re: engine run on - not because of unleaded!!!

To: lazyslacker@hotmail.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine run on - not because of unleaded!!!
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 21:44:51 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/00 10:40:04 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
lazyslacker@hotmail.com writes:

> It does this because it is supposed to run on regular(leaded)
>  gasoline, and he runs straight unleaded in it.

On the contrary !!! Unleaded fuel alone does NOT cause run-on!!!

Bottom line: Run-on is caused by excess HEAT.

Heat typically generated by:
too far advanced timing
excessive carbon build-up in combustion chamber
too-lean carbs
incorrectly adjusted valves

You also can't convince me that the weather adds much to this - I live in
what could be termed a "large convection oven" (Phoenix area) - had the
Roadster out in mid-day stop-n-go traffic, 115*+ heat, completely STOCK
cooling/fan/etc. With NO problems. (oh yeah... unleaded petrol in the tank
too!!!)

If that dieseling truck is old enough to have run on Leaded originally, then
1 of 2 statements are probably true for it:
a) it's old and never had a valve job & needs it .... or
b) it's had one, and wheather you like it or not, modern-day shops put
nothing but unleaded-compatible seats in the head, and ya got some other
problem on your hands.

Ask the guys over in the UK where leaded is being phased out what kind of
arguments over unleaded petrol have popped up over there. Yikes !

.04 (more than .02 <G>)

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
69 SRL311