good ol' #2 and some more roadsters

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: good ol' #2 and some more roadsters
From: "Mitch Planck" <mitch@ias.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:13:28 -0400
Last week I went to look at a couple Roadsters in SE Michigan. One was a '70
1600, the other a '68 2000. I was suprised at how well the bodies were on
these cars for this part of the country.

The 2000's body, while spray painted randomly, had no rust in the usual
spots, just very small amounts of surface rust from scratches. The interior
had been removed, but was in pretty good shape. No engine or tranny though.

The 1600 was also had a nice body, but not quite as good as the 2000's. One
of the front fenders had a small hole just in front of the door and there
was some rust in the rear wheel arches. The interior was not quite as good
as on the 2000 either. It did have a full drive train, but I made no attempt
to examine that since I wasn't interested in the engine, just body stuff.

I only wanted one of these babies, and he wanted to sell both and had
someone else coming later in the evening that was interested in both. He
wound up selling both to the other guy. I thought I had lost out on the
parts, but I got a call this morning from the other guy who bought the parts
(I had the first owner give him my name and number). He wanted the body
parts from the 2000 for his other cars. He has a '63 1500 with a jump seat,
a couple of 1600s and a few 2000s. He got the 1600 for a friend who may not
want it, if so he might sell it to me, which would be cool - the body is so
much better than mine.

I asked him if he was on the email list and he's not - he's remodeling his
house and has 'lost' his computer under the house work, heh.

Anyways, I got a chance to look at my missing #2 last night and figured out
what was going on. I removed the distributor cap and manually turned the
engine and watched the points. Turns out that the points weren't opening on
#2. Thinking the distributor shaft got bent somehow I removed it to take a
closer look and when turning it out of the car, all the points opened. Looks
like it got in there cockeyed somehow. I put it back in, put everything back
together and tried to start it. No luck. I used the timing light and #2 is
firing now while I crank it, but #1 is not firing every time, just
occasionally.

I didn't have any more time to figure out why this is happening, probably
something similar to what was happening to #2. There is a fair one block
from my house and they were having the demolition derby and I went to go
watch that with the family. Better than listening to it - it's just annoying
then. They don't get really loud until the tractor pulls on Saturday though.

Everyone - thanks for the tips, they've made this solution much easier for
me to find.

Thanks,
Mitch Planck
'69 1600

Systems Engineer
mitch@ias.net

IAS.NET - Internet Applications and Solutions, Inc.
"Effective Internet Solutions Since 1995"

1145 Broadway
Ann Arbor, MI 48105
Phone: 1-800-IASNET 1 (427-6381)
FAX: (734) 668-7274