Re: good ol' #2 (was: bolt holes then Roll bars, Timing and Carbs)

To: road <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: good ol' #2 (was: bolt holes then Roll bars, Timing and Carbs)
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 16:27:36 -0500
 Mitch,

Another thing you might want to check:

Check the timing at idle, with the timing light trigger at spark plug at #1.
Repeat this for 2, 3 , & 4.

As you already mentioned, #2 is not firing the timing light.

I am curious to the timing reference of #1, #3, #4?  If they are the same,
then the distributor shaft and advance cam lobes should be OK.  If the
timing jumps around for the three plugs that do fire, I am wondering
if the distributor shaft might be bent and barely (if at all) opening the points
when #2 lobe passes them.

If the shaft was bent, I would expect to see the timing to be different on
the three firing cylinders. If the shaft was bent exactly towards #3 lobe,
then #1 & #4 should be the same, with #3 firing later. Remember the coil
"fires" when the points open.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX

P.S. One time I noticed I was down on power. Quick check on the timing
of the four cylinders showed #4 was not firing. Pulled the plug, found a piece
of metal on the electrode had shorted it out. Cool, replaced the plug and off
I went.   I didn't stop to think WHY there was a piece of metal on the plug,
but a month later replaced the head gasket.  You know those stamped metal
sealing rings around the cylinders -- yes, that was the source of the metal. :-(