Re: Tires and Wheels

To: <DemonTSi@aol.com>, <jon_wissler@pngc.com>,
Subject: Re: Tires and Wheels
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 19:47:27 -0400
The problem of running such large wheels is that they weigh so much,  add a
lot of unsprung weight and don't necessarily make the car handle any better
than 15" wheels with good tires. And they cost a fortune. 17" wheels and
tires typically add more than 40lbs and more of unsprung weight depending on
the manufacturer and style of wheel.  This is a constant topic in the Miata
forum.

Here in NY too many guys running 16" & 17" wheels with super low profiles
are finding their rims are bending under the stress of driving over less
than perfect roads. BMW recalled most early M3s for wheel problems as well
as Chrysler.

IMHO they kill the looks of a 30 YO graceful sports car and are more suited
to Hondas/Acuras which ride on the ground and look like an amusement ride
going down the street.

FWIW,

66 Mike