Re: Cleaning out a gas tank question

To: "Mick T" <mickth@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Cleaning out a gas tank question
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 14:58:44 -0500
There are two fuel line connections at the front, top of the tank that will
need to be
disconnected, as well as the filler neck hose and the vent line.  They are not
difficult
to disconnect.  Also, pull the plate out of the bottom of the trunk and
disconnect the
two wires thast go to the fuel gauge sender.  document which one goes where!
If the
tank is not empty put a jack under the tank, or a pile of wood to hold it up.
Remove the
nuts at the rear of the tank that hold the straps.  Youmay not need to fully
remove the
nuts as the bolts that they are on are actually J-hooks that may be able to be
released.

When I was putting my previous roadster back on the road after 10 years I
dropped the
tank and just turned it over and banged it around a bit to see what fell out of
it.
(the tank was dry).  Then I took it to a car wash and shoved the hose down
through
the filler and hosed it out as many times as was needed to get all the crud out
that
would come out.  Look at the crud to see how much rust there is.  IF you find
rust,
start looking for a replacement tank because that one is not long for this
world.
The car wash will not get the entire tank clean because there are two interior
baffles
that you can't get around, but you will get out as much of the crud as you can
without
cutting the tank open.

Let the tank dry outside in the sun for a couple of days and put it back in the
car.

Before you put it back in check around the strap mounting points for any cracks
in the
metal.  If you find any cracks have them taken care of before installing the
tank.

I generally replace any of the rubber hoses, filler vent line and filler hose
while I
am doing this because they seem to start leaking after they are put back into
service.

If the donut around the filler neck is bad now is the time to replace it too!

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885