Re: 1600 Alt conversion SUCCESS FINALLY!!!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1600 Alt conversion SUCCESS FINALLY!!!
From: "Brian St. Jacques" <brian@varatouch.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 08:54:12 -0700
On the GM alternator I have running, the other two connections are labeled
as "R" and "F". Which of these is supposed to have the bulb? At the moment,
I have them both connected to ignition power, and this has been working for
quite a while. Tom also mentioned hooking up an ammeter to one of these
terminals. Will the stock ammeter work here?

At 05:40 AM 6/20/2000, Thomas Walter wrote:
>David,
>
>Sounds great! Glad to hear you have it working.
>
>Couple of comments:
>
>"single wire alternators" - As the name implies, there
>is only a "single" connection. There is just two connections,
>one to the battery post the other ground. That's it. The
>regulator is internal the alternator.
>
>There is no production vehicle with "one wire hookups"
>as all these are custom built delco units. Typically sold
>through speed shops, or other automotive specialty places.
>
>TYPICAL DELCO:
>
>Internally regulated with the two additional wire connections.
>
>Two connections. One is a battery sense, the other is "ignition
>on" connection.
>
>The "ignition on" circuit SHOULD have a light bulb in series
>with the wire, or a "resistance wire". This allows that circuit
>to ground out, lighting up the dash warning light. On vehicles
>without a dash light, typically they are fitted with an ammeter
>and the "resistance wire".  Resistance wire is just an undersized
>wire (approximately 20 gauge) that is five to eight long. This
>acts like a resistor.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Tom Walter
>Austin, TX