Re: More Starter Questions

To: ",Datsun" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More Starter Questions
From: "Thomas Walter" <ra0618@email.sps.mot.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:30:24 -0500
You're welcome.

I am NOT a big fan of header wrap for daily drivers. Idea of the
header wrap is to keep the heat in the header, which helps improve
the exhaust flow.  While you may increase the power 1%, there are
too many tradeoffs for the roadster.

Problem with the wrap is it will keep the heat, moisture, dirt,
and everything else up against the header. With the extra heat
you are also more likely to warp the exhaust manifold flange.
Usually the header will die an early death.

If you RACE, rebuild the engine every season, and are looking
for the ultimate tricks.... header wrap might be a good deal.
Other wise just leave it off.

[Only time I would be tempted to use the wrap... on that darn
Chevy CAST IRON exhaust manifold that runs along side the starter
on the older V8 vans.]

I'd leave the nice stainless steel header as is, install the
2000 starter.

If you 2000 starter get cooked too often, you could fabricate
a heat shield to block radiated heat from the header.

I SUSPECT that removing the "triangle piece" might actually help
air flow in that region around the starter. Only way I would know
for sure is to hook up a manometer (for measuring static pressure).
One tube by the starter, the other tube in the wheel wheel. Plate
in place. See how much static pressure difference between the two
locations are. Just a thought.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX