Re: Respecting the danger(Long)

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Respecting the danger(Long)
From: "Greg Rose" <gregory@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 20:53:12 -0700
Hi list.
I am new to the list, and have posted a couple of times.  I was not going to
mention this story, but after reading Gary's(and the other crash story)
post, I have decided to share my sad story that proves Gary's point exactly.

A couple of months ago, I crashed my roadster.  I rear ended a SUV.  The
damage was not too bad, and I was only going about 10-15 mph when I hit
(hard on the breaks and tires screeching).  It was not a good day, but
thankfully no one got hurt (of course, I had no seatbelts and the top off,
not good!).  I had only had the roadster for a month and a half or so, and
had just gotten it out of the shop!  To top everything off, I am 31 and this
is my first crash ever!  It was totally my fault, and that brings me to
Gary's points.  I have been driving a 68 VW bus for the last 10 years.  In a
bus, you are way up high and can see everything.  Also a bus is REALLY slow.
To drive it, you have to put the pedal to the metal, and even then people
are honking at you to speed up.  I have been driving this way for 10 years.
Now suddenly, I decide to get a roadster (kept the bus too!) and these
habits do not transfer well!  I do not have the defensive driving habits
that Gary was talking about(I have had to play "Johnny Race Car Diver" in
the bus, just to keep up with the flow of traffic!).  Roadsters are really
small and really fast and you sure can't see as much as you can riding high
in the bus.

Anyway, some lessons in life are learnt the hard way.

I have pictures of the damage, if any one wants to see.  I will send them to
you. (I know, some people are sick (haha))  The car is "fixed" now (still
have to do the finishing touches, like paint!), but no way does it look as
good as when I got it.

For anyone that is still reading my tale of woe, has anyone seen that new
Honda Roadster?  I saw one on the street today in San Jose.  They look like
a cross between a miata and a mercedes coverable.  Kind of futuristic
looking, but real racy too!

Thanks for reading,
Greg
Santa Cruz
68 1600 with a L16b
68 VW bus (for over 10 years now!)
(I figure if I have had the bus, 10 years, I will probably have the Roadster
forever!)