The Red paint job, part 3 (pretty long)

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: The Red paint job, part 3 (pretty long)
From: HIGHKIX4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 18:04:33 EDT
For all:
(part 2 of this story had me waiting for paint to cure, so I could fix
some minor blemishes)
Well...spent about 8 hours rubbing out the paint with 3M
'Finesse It'  and a power buffer (yep, bought one, on sale
at sears this week).   I followed my paint guy's recommendation
and used 1500 grit wet sanding on the really dusty/overspray
parts.  Just exactly like he said, it really dulled things down,
but just like he said, the buffing brought it right back out.
The car looks quite good now.  Better than a 50mph paint job,
and in fact its about a 5 ft away standing still paint job.  If you
take a light, and shine it down the side,  you can see
some areas that are not perfect.   That's OK, I tell myself,
this is not a professional restoration, just a plan to put
myself into a nice car for the occasional ride
(and autocross)
Did anything go wrong?  Yep, sure did.  Ground right
thru the paint on the doors.   I'll bet you can imagine
my excitement....so.....I took the doors off, (again),
and aggressively wet sanded them with 360 grit,
then washed them with 3M final kleen.   Just got
done shooting them again, 2 coats.  THey look
great!
Bottom line, painting is a learned skill.  By the time
I shot these last 2 doors, I finally "got it right" as
far as gun settings, etc.   I can now tell by looking at the
paint flow onto the surface that its going to be a good job.
I'm ready to paint another car.

For anyone thinking about this, spend maximum time
on body work and prep.  The paint I used,
Dupont Centari Acrylic Enamel, is pretty forgiving and
great for the amateur.  Its also very good quality paint.
Best Regards,
Jim
67 pushrod 2L 5spd
(very red)