Re: Wobbly rear end

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wobbly rear end
From: ccoker@flash.net
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:09:00 -0500 (CDT)
On Fri Jul 30 07:58:45 1999, "Miller, Don" <MillerD2@idhw.state.id.us> wrote:

> Odd subject line but I'll try to explain it and see if there is a solution.
> I Solo II my Roadster and notice rub marks (wider tires and rims) and am
> wondering if any of the racers out there have come up with a solution to
> keep the rear end from walking back and forth? It does not rub alot, I just
> don't like stuff like that. Also it probably can't hurt to stabilize the
> rear.

At least some of the deflection is coming from sidewall deflection of the tires.
Leaf spring suspensions get their compliance in two main areas, the bushings,
and the shackle that ties the rear spring eye to the frame.

Stiffening up the lateral stiffness of the axle can be looked at in three
stages.  Stage I would replace the front and rear spring eye bushings with
stiffer material.  Be careful about replacing bushings at one end of the spring
only - you can noticeably affect the handling characteristics of the car.  Stage
II would replace the shackle with one of beefier construction.  Stage III would
involve the construction of a panhard rod for the rear axle.  For those
unfamiliar, this is a lateral suspension link that connects the axle at one side
of the car to the frame at the other side of the car.  Obviously, this would
require attaching some brackets to the axle and frame.  Proper design is
probably beyond the discussion here, but I do believe there are some roadsters
running around with owner installed panhard rods (race cars, I think).

I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail for those who are interested.
Vehicle dynamics and suspension design is what I do for a living.

Happy Roadstering,
Chris Coker
'69 1600 SPL311-24529
Royal Oak, MI