Re: Rear Main Seal

To: "Doug Walsh" <dwalsh@purplenet.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Main Seal
From: "PATRICK P. CASTRONOVO" <slick@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 22:40:24 -0700
Having a rear main seal leak, will leak between the engine and the back of
the flywheel.  After you pull the engine and transmission, then seperating
the bellhousing from the engine, check on which side the oil leak is coming
from.   The only way a clutch will be effected by an oil leak is if the
bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft were not coated with a sealer
to prevent the oil from coming out the bolts, which WILL effect the clutch.
Seperate the pressure plate(clutch cover to those out west) from the fly
wheel, and check the center of the flywheel for oil stains.  If there are no
oil stains, then it is a rear main seal.  But you stated that your clutch is
slipping, so my bet is on the unsealed bolts. Pat 67.5 2000 Solex