ignition timing theory questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: ignition timing theory questions
From: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@stars.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All,
        I was wondering today about advance curves.  I have been told that
setting the timing to 16 BTDC will give me more power in low rpm's compared
to 0 BTDC.  Why is this exactly??  I have also been told to make sure that
the total advance is not more than 35 deg.  Why is this?? What will happen
if it is more than this??  It seems that we are striking a balance between
a high initial advance (at low rpm's, which is good for some reason) and not
too much advance at high
rpm's(which is bad for some reason).  Does someone have an idea of an 'ideal'
advance curve for our engines and why its ideal??  Some engines, turbo engines
for example, are actually retarded at higher rpm (I believe). Why is this??
        Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Daniel Neuman
Dept. of Radiation Oncology
533 Parnassus Ave. Rm. U368P
University of California