Re: Too Much Play in Steering?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Too Much Play in Steering?
From: ccoker@flash.net
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 06:02:05 -0500 (CDT)
> >I was working on the car this weekend and noticed that there was what
> >seemed to be too much play in the steering wheel.
>
> Check for play at the balljoints and idler bushings first.
>
> Bill Wessel
> Madison, WI
> '68 1600, '69 2000,
> and GP race roadsters

Another thing to check, which is sometimes overlooked, is the nut that
holds the steering wheel on the steering shaft.  True, the wheel is
mounted on a splined shaft, but if the nut works loose, you can get a very
noticeable increase in steering play.  I discovered this for myself last year.
To get to the nut, just disconnect the battery, push down on the horn button,
and rotate counter-clockwise to remove it.  There should be a lockwasher under
the big nut that holds the wheel on.  Also, when you put the horn button back
on, don't forget the spring!

Happy Roadstering,
Chris Coker
'69 1600 SPL311-24529