Re: Pinging only when warm

To: snyler@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Pinging only when warm
From: BERKEN@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:48:49 EST
In a message dated 1/24/99 5:40:19 PM Mountain Standard Time,
snyler@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< My 70 1600 is tuned and carbs balanced, but it ain't perfect. On a
 trip out to the grocery store (7 mi) the car runs beautifully,but on the
 trip back I notice some pinging on hills. Idle speed also changes from
 just under 1k rpm when cool to about 1500 when well warmed up. Is this a
 vacuum thing? do I have a crack opening up (or closing) as the engine
 reaches operating temperature?
      I retareded the timing a bit more and with octane boost the ping is
 gone, but the idle change still happens.
      Still, it's running well enough to meet up with folks interested in
 a Hill Country run :)

 Marc Tyler
 1970 1600
 Boerne TX (Actually Sisterdale TX)

Marc,

I can't think of anything else that would affect the idle other than a vac
leak.  A good way to check is to take a can of Berryman's Carb cleaner with a
plastic tube on it and spray it at suspected areas and see if the idle speed
changes.  Be careful not to get it on the exhaust and keep a fire extinguisher
handy.

Joseph Berkenbile
70 1600
Albuquerque