Re: Looking at a Super Seven

To: dlou <dlou@sonic.net>, chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Looking at a Super Seven
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 18:13:04 -0700
At 08:00 AM 6/7/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>I posted this to the British cars list, but it looks like this list might
>be more appropriate.  Sorry for the multiple postings, but I'm not used
>to the breakout and I'm a bit confused by the multiple lists.
>

>A Super Seven popped up on the classifieds listings one day and it turned out
>the seller is only a mile away from my house.  What should I be looking for
>(besides a good psychiatrist)?

Doesn't sound like you're interested in originality so you're looking for
a "good" car.

>It is advertised as a '74 Caterham but the seller claims it's an S2.  Looks
>more like an S3 to my untrained eye, though.  First 2 digits of the VIN was
>"77", so I don't know if that's a clue.  Registration says "1974 English Ford"
>so there may be some creative licensing involved (pun unintended ).

Who knows what it really is....

>   Smog
>tests are not reqiured.  Engine is a Mazda 13B built by Racing Beat
>spec'ed to 215hp mated to BMC 4 speed and a Weber 2bbl downdraft.

Sounds like a lot of horsepower for that trans....

>   The seller
>says he had it built and installed a year or two after he bought it
>around 5-6yrs ago.  He said he went with the rotary after getting frustrated
>with the BMC and BDA motors he had in it.

BMC AND BDA!?!?

>   Seller couldn't remember
>off-hand what the rear end was.  There is a stress crack
>at the base of the passenger (right) side windscreen frame mount point.
>Apparently it's not fastened to the tubular frame at that point?

Frame is bolted to alloy skin on original

>saw a couple small spots of oil, one under the engine and one under
>the tranny drain bolt.  Carpet kit is out, so I could see what I think
>are a few indentations in the transmission tunnel where people have
>been placing their hands to get in and out of the car.

You don't dent the tunnel with your hands if your small enough to fit.

>   Color is black
>and aluminum.  I'm a little disappointed it's not BR Green.  Clamshell
>fenders are currently installed but the seller says he has also has
>cycle fenders.  Stone guards are on the rear fenders.  I saw 51k on
>the Smiths gauges and seller claims he put about 5k on it since he
>owned it and he never raced it.  Rims are cast alloy and tires are what
>he says are "original", whatever that means.  They are Goodyears, marked
>"Made in Britain" and look pretty hard.  Seats are in great condition.
>I can reach the pedals, but I could use an extra half inch or so in my
>legs to be optimal.  My reach to the steering wheel is good.  I guess
>my dimensions aren't too far off from Chapman's, although I am supposedly
>an inch or two taller.  Seller claims he is the 3rd owner.
>
>I couldn't test drive it because it was late and the seller mumbled
>something about waking the neighbors so I'm going to drop by after
>work today to take it out for a spin.
>
>I've always wanted a Seven since high school but I've never seriously
>looked for one.  Up until 9 months ago, I commuted in an Alfa GTV6,
>so I'm used to uncommon cars.  I am in Sunnyvale, Calif.  What would
>be a reasonable price for this Seven?

$12-15K?

More info at....
http://www.simplesevens.org