Looking at a Super Seven

To: chapman-era@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking at a Super Seven
From: dlou <dlou@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 08:00:27 -0700
I posted this to the British cars list, but it looks like this list might
be more appropriate.  Sorry for the multiple postings, but I'm not used
to the breakout and I'm a bit confused by the multiple lists.

A Super Seven popped up on the classifieds listings one day and it turned out
the seller is only a mile away from my house.  What should I be looking for
(besides a good psychiatrist)?

It is advertised as a '74 Caterham but the seller claims it's an S2.  Looks
more like an S3 to my untrained eye, though.  First 2 digits of the VIN was
"77", so I don't know if that's a clue.  Registration says "1974 English Ford"
so there may be some creative licensing involved (pun unintended ).  Smog
tests are not reqiured.  Engine is a Mazda 13B built by Racing Beat
spec'ed to 215hp mated to BMC 4 speed and a Weber 2bbl downdraft.  The seller
says he had it built and installed a year or two after he bought it
around 5-6yrs ago.  He said he went with the rotary after getting frustrated
with the BMC and BDA motors he had in it.  Seller couldn't remember
off-hand what the rear end was.  There is a stress crack
at the base of the passenger (right) side windscreen frame mount point.
Apparently it's not fastened to the tubular frame at that point?  I
saw a couple small spots of oil, one under the engine and one under
the tranny drain bolt.  Carpet kit is out, so I could see what I think
are a few indentations in the transmission tunnel where people have
been placing their hands to get in and out of the car.  Color is black
and aluminum.  I'm a little disappointed it's not BR Green.  Clamshell
fenders are currently installed but the seller says he has also has
cycle fenders.  Stone guards are on the rear fenders.  I saw 51k on
the Smiths gauges and seller claims he put about 5k on it since he
owned it and he never raced it.  Rims are cast alloy and tires are what
he says are "original", whatever that means.  They are Goodyears, marked
"Made in Britain" and look pretty hard.  Seats are in great condition.
I can reach the pedals, but I could use an extra half inch or so in my
legs to be optimal.  My reach to the steering wheel is good.  I guess
my dimensions aren't too far off from Chapman's, although I am supposedly
an inch or two taller.  Seller claims he is the 3rd owner.

I couldn't test drive it because it was late and the seller mumbled
something about waking the neighbors so I'm going to drop by after
work today to take it out for a spin.

I've always wanted a Seven since high school but I've never seriously
looked for one.  Up until 9 months ago, I commuted in an Alfa GTV6,
so I'm used to uncommon cars.  I am in Sunnyvale, Calif.  What would
be a reasonable price for this Seven?

///
///  chapman-era@autox.team.net mailing list
///