Rebuilding Webers - More Info

To: "Chapman Era List" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rebuilding Webers - More Info
From: "John Coelho" <jcoelho@ct1.net>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:47:40 -0400
This is in response to a request that I summarize and post the responses I
received regarding rebuilding the Weber carbs on my 1967 S3.

The problem is backfiring and spitting through the intake. The mixture
appears far too rich. Timing etc. has been adjusted. My question was
whether a mere mortal should attempt rebuilding the Webers.

Specific comments received were:

"Not that bad....pretty fool proof. All the jets are different threads so
you can't mix them up."

"I would encourage you to get a copy of Des Hammill's book..."
"Carb spitting, BTW, may be due to ignition timing, idle mix, richness..."
"The carb is very fixable."
"I think you'd find it a pleasure to tune your Webers."

"Yes, a mere mortal can work on Webers. I rebuilt a pair of sidedrafts when
I was in high school with nothing more than the Weber rebuild kit."

"I would suggest:
1. Check float level
2. Check needle valve for wear
3. Check fuel pressure near carb with a gauge
4. Go through adjustment procedure in the manual
5. Get a good book on Webers and read it"

That's about it. I took the advice to get the Hammill book "How to Build &
Power Tune Weber & Dellorto DCOE & DHLA carburetors" and it arrived about
30 minutes ago via UPS. It looks perfect - excellent photographs.

Thanks again to the responders. I'll post the results if I ever get 'em
back together again. Then it's on to the brakes...(Although as Enzo F.
supposedly said, "Anybody can make a car go slow.......".

John C.