Dave Billings me/mine

To: "'chapman-era@autox.team.net'" <chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Dave Billings me/mine
From: Dave Billings <dbilling@spry.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 11:02:45 -0700
Apparently, this is the suggested method of self-introduction.  I hope I
am getting it right.

Name:                   Dave Billings
Age:                    33
Location:               Seattle, WA
Profession:             Project Manager - Internet Service Provider
E-mail address:         dbilling@spry.com
Car Make:               Lotus
Car Model:              1966 Elan S2
Colour:                 Midnight Blue
Main use:               Tarp support
Chassis layout:         Standard backbone, no modifications (yet)
Construction:           Glass fibre
Engine:                 Lotus-Ford Twin Cam - 1600cc
Transmission:           4spd (close or semi-close ratio)
Differential:           Unsure of ratio
Suspension/Brakes:      Stock
Wheels/Tyres:           8-spoke Europa rims/needs new tires
Trim:                   Black vinyl/carpet
Other cars:             Nothing of interest
Previous Cars:          1974 Europa Special - 5spd.
Other info:
                I have been on the Lotus Mailing list for nearly a year
now, and am just getting going on the restoration of my Elan, which has
been sitting in pieces for 9 years.  Engine is in pieces, and needs a
total rebuild.  Suspension is OK, though I will be going over it before
putting it back on the road.  Body needs some minor glass repair, and
paint has the usual cracking, etc.  So, everything but the interior
requires attention.

The car can be seen on the web
(http://home.sprynet.com/interserv/bilcoh/elan.htm), though the pictures
are from 15 years ago, when the car and I were both in much better
shape.  At least the car has the potential to look better than it ever
has before (Hmmm, maybe that is part of the appeal).  Don't bother with
the rest of the site.  It is almost 3 years old, and very outdated.

History:  My dad bought this car as a basket case when I was 10.  It was
his second Elan.  He fixed it as a project, then tried to sell it over
the years, but to no avail (possibly because my nightly prayers included
asking for a lack of buyers).  After 6 long years, I finally turned 16,
and was just finishing restoring the aforementioned Europa, which had
been in a wreck and required a frame replacement.  Quite a starter
project, as I look back on it.  I sold the Europa, used the money to buy
the Elan from dad, restored and modified the car quite a bit and enjoyed
it for a few years.  I made the fatal mistake of tearing apart the
engine to rebuild it about 9 years ago, which brings us back to today.
So, there you have it.

I look forward to being a part of this community.

Thanks,

Dave Billings
1966 Elan S2  #26/4378   Engine #2894