Re: actual content \gearbox stuff

To: Keith Gustafson <gusmach@shore.net>
Subject: Re: actual content \gearbox stuff
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 1998 14:46:33 -0400
I once had a roommate (male!) who put a Mercedes 4-speed trans in his
early Valiant in the days before Detroit had 4-speeds. For the input
shaft he did exactly what you are talking about - mated the front end of
one with the rear end of the other input shaft. This was transmitting
about 230 bhp but don't know the torque. HEH - it worked absolutey fine.
After a first few tentative drives he started openning it up and got
many speeding tickets over many years. Never did break. He did however
get the positioning and the welding done by a tool shop - i.e. it must
be done acurately and welded properly.
Derek.