As ye plough, so shall ye r

To: chapman-era@Autox.Team.Net, Kitracers@kcbbs.gen.NZ,
Subject: As ye plough, so shall ye r
From: "Erik Berg" <Erik.Berg@trw.com>
Date: 25 Feb 1997 00:03:58 -0800
 Reply to:     As ye plough, so shall ye reap

[ Lotus West trivia question.... who was responsible for the original L/W =
tech tip,
[ which was published many years ago, under the above subject / title???

Howdy, Steve, Marty, All.

Marty, I've forwarded this message to Chapman-era as well, because I =
suspect
that they will find this question thoroughly interesting!

Marty Wilson wrote:
>>I am after some feedback on setting up the front suspension of my =
Amaroo
>>Clubman.

Steve White replied:

Marty Wilson wrote:
>>I have only run it in hillclimbs so far and the "turn in" on the =
corners
>>doesnt seem too famous, it tends to understeer. I have been advised to =
dial
>>in more negative camber and this will cure it.
>>I will be running in a supersprint ar Amaroo in Sydney shortly so I =
would
>>be interested in feedback on front suspension setups that work for =
other
>>Lotus 7 replica style machines

Steve White replied:
>What sort of adjustments do you have available to you?  Camber, caster
>and toe?  How much adjustment is possible?  What sort of tyres are you
>running, what size and how old are they?  What pressures do you normally
>run in them?  What sort of compromises are you prepared to live with?
>.... for instance you might improve the turn-in and make the car really
>responsive to steering input, but that might make the car really 'darty'
>and tiring to keep in a straight line.

Good questions, one and all.  Particularly the bit about tire pressures!  =
First
step, before you assume that suspension adjustments are necessary, oughta =

be to simply increase the front tire pressure or decrease the rear =
pressure a
bit, assuming you have not already done this.....  If they are more than =
5 psi
different already, you may be justified to adopt more serious measures.

Marty, does it only push when you're trying to get it to turn in, or does =
it push in
steady state cornering as well?

If it pushes all the time, then more negative camber at the front *might* =
be a
wise approach, but assuming it is already set somewhat negative, you =
would
probably sacrifice braking.... still, that could prove worthwhile =
overall, for tight
courses.  Everything is a compromise as Steve pointed out.

You oughta first try diddling the anti-roll bar settings.  Does it have a =
rear bar?
If so, start by adjusting it slightly stiffer.

Best bet though, might be to begin by getting some tire temperature test =
data,
to tell you whether the camber is in the ballpark to begin with at the =
front, and
how the roll stiffnesses are presently set up, before you actually start =
adjusting
the camber or the anti-roll bar settings.

If it only pushes when you're trying to get it to turn in, then before =
more radical
measures, first consider just using less toe-in at the front.  Depending =
on the
course, and your driving style, you oughta be able to get away with much =
less
toe-in than you would use on the street.  Change it a little bit at a =
time, tho  =3D:-O

Other comments?
This oughta be an interesting thread!
erik.berg@trw.com