Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair

To: csx2282@sonic.net
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 12:39:19 EDT
The original ones used a harder alloy than the repros - which are much more
easily dented.

The oddball ones are my MGA Twincam, which have a different angle on the
mating surface than anything else.

AFAIK the AC stuff was conventional - had the same angle (I know this as I
am running some Cobra wires from Dayton on one of my cars, but the details of
the ears could have been a bit different. Is it something you could reprofile
on  the repros and then rechrome?

Nice you have the wires - everyone seems to want to go with  Halibrands.

As for the magnet test, that does not indicate any iron content. In fact
bronze (normally a copper/zinc alloy, the same as brass, can also use nickel
and
cobalt, both of which are ferromagnetic and will give you a bit of attraction
 from a magnet.  Of course some bronzes also have some iron, so you never
know.

So I think that profile, rather than material is your big issue, although  it
is possible, even probable, that the repro spinners you have may be brass
(but a softer alloy than the original bronze or brass)

Bill