Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair

To: csx2282@sonic.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [British-cars] Knockoff Repair
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 10:17:48 EDT
In a message dated 19/05/2007 8:41:03 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
csx2282@sonic.net writes:

My  understanding is
that Brit car winged knockoffs of this period  (early-to-mid '60s) were made
of pot metal casting and doing this kind of  repair is a bit tricky, so I'm
wondering if there are any outfits out there  capable and willing to do this
kind of work.

____________________________________

No pot metal.

The early cars has a brass alloy while some had steel.

Either way, trying to restore a badly beaten knock-off is a bit of a job,
and usually pointless as new ones are available.

Unless your car has some rare pattern, I'm not sure why you'd want to put
the time and money into a restoration of that part. Having said that, either
sort can be welded to build up material again and filed and ground to original
profile.

What sort of car are we talking about?

Bill