Re: Brush painting a car

To: <johno8@aol.com>, <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Brush painting a car
From: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:57:41 -0500
John:  The Alvis looks great.  Though tecnically brush painting is incorrect
for my Singer, here are some reasons why I did it:

1) I've always wanted to try it.

2) I live in the Washington, D.C. area where a high quality spray paint job is
very expensive.  Good shops are few and far between and charge upwards of
$5,000; cowboy paint shops are more abundant but still charge $2-3,000 and the
outcome could be dodgy.

3) I could control the disassembly, painting schedule, and reassemble rather
than rely on a shop.

4) The Singer lends itself to brush painting:  fenders, running boards, boot,
bonnet, doors all unbolt and there are not that many large flat areas that are
hard to paint with a brush and get to look good.  It's not necessarily right
for any car, eg. I won't be painting my 1953 Sunbeam Talbot Alpine with a
brush.  But, I hope someday acquire and rebuild a Pre-War Singer LeMans, and I
wouldn't hesitate to brush paint that.

5)  This car is just a driver, not a show car. I can, and do, drive and park
the car anywhere and I don't worry about scratches and nicks like I would if I
had an expensive paint job on the car.

But the most important reason is the first.

Gene

>>> <johno8@aol.com> 11/20/06 2:42 PM >>>
Here's a link to my brush painted 1925 Alvis.  Brush painting is correct for
most coachbuilt British cars prior to about 1928/9.

I am curious to know the reasons why Eugene wanted his 1949 car brush painted.

John