TR8 Throw out Bearing Question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR8 Throw out Bearing Question
From: Diane & Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:05:10 -0700
My son's TR8 clutch recently started making a sort of grinding-whaling
sounds when he depresses the pedal.  It doesn't make any abnormal sounds
when the clutch is engaged,
so I'm guessing it's the throw out bearing.  We're just wondering how
serious this is- that is, can he just ignore it for the time being, since
the car doesn't get driven a whole lot.  I recall
a VW I bought new back in '70 that had a noisy throw out bearing almost
from the day I bought it.  I ignored it for several years without
apparent harm.  I wasn't the only one who
had this experience with their VW, BTW.

Of course, sooner or later the bearing will have to be replaced.  Do any
of you know if this can be done without pulling the transmission?

Thanks,

Roland