RE: help please

To: "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: help please
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 07:40:53 -0700
> What is the list members opinions/experience as regards exhaust air/fuel
> mixture sensors, I'm "thinking" of adding one to my T/R 3, but only after the
> wisdom of the list.  "FT"

I played with one for awhile, in fact the sensor is still hanging out of the
exhaust manifold on my TR3A.  Frankly, I found it pretty useless.

The normal "narrow band" unit is only accurate over a very small range of
mixtures, which is only of interest to cars with catalytic converters.  For
maximum power, the mixture has to be richer than the sensor will accurately
measure.  And for maximum fuel economy, the mixture has to be leaner than the
sensor will accurately measure.  Plus H6 carbs (at least mine) don't hold the
mixture all that constant anyway.  The slightest movement of the throttle makes
the mixture monitor jump all over the place.

There are "wide band" units available that should do a good job.  However, they
are a lot more expensive, with even the "low price" units costing $400-$600.
Google for ("wide band" oxygen) (without the parentheses), you'll get lots of
hits.  Here's a couple :
http://carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0402_tune/
http://www.performancetrends.com/wide_band_uego.htm

Randall