Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Headers for '78 Caliornia Spitfire?
From: Rick Reineman <rick@reineman.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 17:21:11 -0800
The short story is I would like to find California approved headers for
a 1978 Spitfire.

The longer story is I purchased the car with headers already installed,
with proof that it had passed smog with those headers.  I wanted to
replace the exhaust system including the cat but no muffler guys will
work on it unless there's a referee approval.  Apparently that is not on
record anywhere even though the car has passed smog.

The referee approved the design and the car passed visual and gas
checks.  The referee could find no manufacturer information on the
existing headers that proved they were CARB approved.  He said I can
either get the proof (don't know how), get new approved headers, or
replace it all with the factory stuff.

I can't prove anything about the current headers, I don't want to round
up the factory manifold, cat, EGR etc.  That leaves me with the original
question, I need new approved headers.

I checked the ARB website http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage.htm, there's a
lot of stuff there but Triumph Spitfire didn't show up.

Suggestions for availability of the headers will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick