RE: Lucas and "the reputation"

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Lucas and "the reputation"
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:12:14 -0700
> I currently own and drive four different British cars and have NEVER had a
> problem with any British car electrics. I had never even heard of the
> problems you say Mr. Lucas has caused until I came to America. Perhaps you
> chaps should learn to tinker.

With respect Bob, that's exactly the point.  With American cars, there was
no need to 'tinker' with the electrics to keep them reliable.  My first car
was a Chevy, already 12 years old and much neglected when I got it.  In two
years of driving it, I had only one electrical problem, caused by my failure
to tighten a nut on the generator.  Even with it loose the generator still
worked and kept the battery charged (and AFAIK it was still the original
generator and regulator).  The sparks did eventually gain my attention <g>

My first TR3A on the other hand had a distinct appetite for rebuilt
generators and dead batteries.  After realizing that the original generator
was simply too small for the car, the battery would literally run down while
driving down the road with the headlights, heater and wipers on; I converted
to an American alternator and my charging problems disappeared forever.
(Well, I have had the alternator rebuilt and the control box replaced once
in 20 years ...)

Randall