Re: Help with rusted nut on McPherson strut?

To: Eganb@aol.com
Subject: Re: Help with rusted nut on McPherson strut?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:05:05 -0500
At 05:23 PM 4/5/03 EST, Eganb@aol.com wrote:

>Front end rebuild has been going swimmingly on my 1980 TR7 until just now.
>can NOT unscrew the large securing nut to take the damper/strut out of the
>strut tube.  How tight is it on?  Well, I've got a pipe wrench on the tube
>with about a two foot extension, and the nut locked in a bench vice, and all
>I'm doing is lifting the whole bench off the floor.  I suspect this nut has
>never been off -- so 23 years of crud have had time to accumulate.

>4.  The new struts come with new nuts, so I can destroy the old one, but I
>don't want to mess up the threads in the tube.
>
>So, any fabulous ideas?  As always, thanks in advance.

Bruce,

I'd say you either need a lot more heat on the nut, or:

1. Do you have a nut buster large enough to fit over the nut.

2. Try cutting the nut with a dremel tool or die grinder with a cutting
   wheel on it.  You can carefully cut across one of the points on the
   nut and then try to spilt / open it up with a chissel.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org