RE: Mufflers

To: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>,
Subject: RE: Mufflers
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2003 01:49:45 -0600
At 10:19 PM 3/8/03 -0800, Randall Young wrote:
> > I need to tone down my exhaust note just a tad ....
>
>.... I found that a downturned tip made a big difference in the sound of
>my TR3A, ...

Uh, yup.  I second the motion.  A downturned tip can drop the noise level
noticeably, and it's a jolly cheap try if it turns out to be all you need.

I am notorious for blowing the glass out the glass pack muffler of my
expensive Stainless steel exhaust system (like every few years).  With the
empty muffler the sound is particularly irritating (although not terrible
loud), especially on first start inside the garage.  Just putting the rag
top up drops the volume from the tailpipe dramatically (at least for the
passengers), but that only covers about 10% of my driving.

I have the additional consideration of towing the luggage trailer for about
half of the total mileage, and the echo of the exhaust off the front of the
trailer at speed is almost deafening over a long drive.  The downturned
exhaust tip is almost a mirracle worker in that case.  Certainly worh a try
before you spend much more time or money otherwise modifying your exhaust
system.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com