MGB Painting

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Painting
From: RobertS355@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 20:00:32 EST
I have a '63 MGB that has been in the restoration process for too many years.
The car is completely stripped of the interior, drive train, electric, etc.
I've replace rockers, floor boards and fender panels so the car is solid
again. POR15 on the underside and sprayed a coat of epoxy primer a couple of
years ago. The car needs some additional bodywork but my main question has to
do with painting.

I'm not a body person but I did do a reasonable job on repairing the bad
panels and getting a coat of primer on. I've talked to a couple of shops who
want $3500+ to complete the bodywork and paint. My question is, is this a
reasonable figure? I don't have the equipment for today's toxic paints so I'm
hesitant to take this on myself. At the same time, I don't have $3-4,000 to
have someone paint it.

Would appreciate any suggestions on whether this could be a do it yourself
job (I'd be happy to invest the money in equipment) or whether I should bite
the bullet and go to a shop. Thanks in advance.

Bob