Re: Limited slop differentials

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Limited slop differentials
From: "J.C. Hassall" <jhassall@blacksburg.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:41:32 -0500
At 09:37 PM 12/28/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Quaife limited slip
>differential?  I am thinking about putting one in my Marcos and would
>like to hear any thoughts as to their durability, any additional noise
>they make  etc.
>Mike Denman
>1966 Marcos 1800

I'm installing a Quaiffe LSD in my TR-4 right now, so can't speak to its
operation, etc.  However, *the* source for Quaiffes (IMO) is Taylor Race
Engineering (www.taylor-race.com).   Quaiffe didn't list an LSD for the
TR-4 (they do list one for the 2-3 series, and the 4A, tho; go
figure).  Anyway, the folks at Taylor compared a drawing and set of
dimensions from my factory workshop manual I faxed them to the Quaiffe
specs.  Called me long distance to tell me we had a match if the ring gear
was 10 bolts.  All this after calling Quaiffe in "The Olde Country" to
check  Quaiffe's omission in their product list omission  for the -4.  The
folks at Taylor were terrific to work with.  And furthermore, I had the
diff 4 days after mailing them my check!

I believe that there are a number of different Quaiffe products, some
gear-driven and some clutch-driven.  It's killing me not to pull the unit
apart to see what makes it tick.  The unit must do a good job, as Taylor
has LSDs for a number of production cars (anybody out there have a Viper),
as well as full-blown race cars.

So if you've decided the Quaiffe is for you (they're pretty spendy, tho),
contact Taylor - you won't be sorry.

Jim
--
God Bless America

J.C. Hassall
jhassall@blacksburg.net
RV-7 builder wannabe
"The essence of character is doing what's right --
even when no one is looking."  J.C. Watts