Re: Well I Did It....

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Well I Did It....
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 21:42:39 -0800
Patton Dickson wrote:
> How do I charge the 6 volt batteries, just like a regular battery (with the
> charger set to 6 Volts of course) but twice, or do I have to disconnect
> them first?  I am going to try and charge them, but I am almost sure they
> will be bad, are they typically available locally?

(Hmmm, I thought they dropped the pair of 6v with the MGA!)  Anyway, no
need to disconnect them, leave your charger set to 12v and connect it
across the pair of batteries (which are wired in series in the car).  I
haven't seen one on the shelf in a long time, but your local parts house
may be able to special order you a pair (always replace them as a set).
Another alternative, if your battery box is big enough, is to replace
with a single modern 12v.  Car batteries pack more power in a smaller
space than they did 25 years ago ...

> The PO had the car run for him the day he bought it and never tried to
> start it again.  Then they rigged a small tank for the gas as the gas was
> old.  That gas is still in there, even older.  What is the best way to get
> that gas out of there, and flush the tank?

Unless you suspect it has been contaminated, I wouldn't worry about
flushing it.  Actually, my inclination would be to dump in a can of
Gum-Out, fill with fresh gas, and try to burn it.  But when I do need to
empty a tank, I use a Facet-type electric fuel pump as a transfer pump
with the battery charger for power.

> Which manuals and suppliers are the best?

IMO it's worth having the Haynes as a counterpoint to the
Bentley/factory manual.  I haven't seen the MGB factory manual, but the
MGB Haynes looks pretty good.  Personally, I like TRF.  But, since one
of my complaints about Moss has always been that they seem to focus more
on MG's ... <g>

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver - sidelined with tranny trouble
63 Sports 6 rustoration project
57 TR3 "someday" restoration project
59? TR3A "sitting in the barn"