Torquing Heads

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Torquing Heads
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:49:39 -0800
I had a neat little pamphlet from Felpro about their head gaskets.  The
pamphlet had pages and pages of charts showing the torquing methods for all
sorts of cars.  I read through some of them.  It was amazing the different
methods.  Most did it in stages - like 15 lbs for all first, 25, 35 ...
(those are just numbers thrown out there for example, each car seemed to
have different steps).  Others, with or without steps, went up to the final
torque number, then backed down a partial turn, then back up.  All sorts of
combinations.  So, I think the bottom line point is to simply do what the
factory for your car recommended - ie hot, cold, dry, wet, steps, etc.  -
though I'm pretty sure my Alpine factory manuals only give the final
setting and don't say anything about wet or dry.

Jay