Re: Bad Rubber Parts from Moss

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bad Rubber Parts from Moss
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:29:48 -0700 (PDT)
My goodness, I never thought my post about a $2.50 part would generate
so much verb-age.

Let me add some personal comments about Moss' parts.  The number of
parts Moss sells that will fit my car is very limit, so I don't use them
as a source very often.  When I have, I have found that the quality
varied, so I'm not willing to make a blanket statement that all of their
stuff is junk.  I've gotten parts that seemed to be of reasonably
good quality (at least to me), some that was so so and some that was
downright crap.  I understand there are price pressures and
supplier problems.  But there is a point where part quality is so poor,
it unusable.  The tie-rod end boots fall into this category as far as
I'm concerned.  I'm not going to throw myself off the roof over the five
bucks I'm out for these boots, and even if I could find the receipt for
them, I probably wouldn't even bother to ask for a refund.  However,
what would have really pissed me off is not have discovered the
condition of these boots until after the rack and tie-rods were
re-installed on my car.  In that case I would have been far better off
if Moss hadn't sold me these boots at all.  I didn't buy them from Moss
because they had lowest price, I bought them from Moss because
they had them, or so I thought.

One positive result of this, I hope, is getting someone from Moss
engaged in this discussion.  In spite of Kelvin comments, the quality of
Moss' rubber parts has been an ongoing issue for a number of years.
Many of these parts are made of natural rubber.  I don't think that's an
appropriate material for a car part, even for a window or door seal.
It's just too prone to oxidation in the urban environment most of us
live in.

Roland