TR3A steering-again.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A steering-again.
From: thom kuby <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 11:07:43 +0100
Greetings,

First off, I'd like to thank all of you who have been supportive and have
responded to my various questions pertaining to this '59 TR3A, that I've
been fixing up for a neighbor of mine.

The front end has been totally rebuilt.  This amounted to EVERYTHING being
replaced. The only thing I DIDN'T do was deal with the steering box...and I
probably should've.

Now the questions are about steering.  The car wants to (still) shimmy at
about 55mph...At rest there seems to be an awful lot of slop in the
steering..like about three inches either way off of dead center.
1. does this mean the steering box is toast?
2.  can this slop be adjusted out? (and how do you do that?)
3. Is it possible (and feasible) to retrofit a later (TR3B?, TR4?) rack &
pinion  steering rack to this car?

I set the front-end toe, camber, according to the numbers in the manual
(I'm using the Bentley repro of the factory pub.).
4. Are these numbers correct?
5. are some other tricks to getting this geometry right?

Again, the car's owner and I thank you in advance...

Cheers
Thom Kuby
Porsche freak, with a TR3 in his garage