Re: Riley Values?

To: Pfisterz@AOL.com
Subject: Re: Riley Values?
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Richard Feibusch)
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 14:24:31 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Joe & Listers,

I am now compiling a set of values for Riley cars sold in America for the
NADA Classic, Collectable and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide and Am
looking for input.

>From what I can gather:

*  Riley RM series cars were made between 1946 and 1955 in England.

*  Are the RMB cars with hydraulic brakes etc. worth much more than an
identical earlier model.

*  I'm not sure what years, if not all of them, that these cars were
imported to the US in any quantity.

*  I know that saloons and DHCs were available as One And a Half and Two
And a Half liter versions and roadsters were available as Two And a Half
liter only - again, not sure of the years yet.

*  Got some ideas about values based on sales and club experts BUT how much
less is a One And a Half liter worth when compared to a Two And a Half
liter in identical condition.

*  I believe that the BMC Riley One-Point-Five (I'm a former owner of two)
was only imported to the US in 1958 - 59 (possibly in late 1957 as well).
Does anyone know for sure???

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Joe,
It is real hard to appraise your car on the net but a good rule to go by
would be to start at $20,000 and deduct what it would cost to make it a
real nice car, not a 99 point show car but a car that has no dents, decent
shiny paint, a solid well kept vinylide top, reasonable chrome, clean
interior, unripped seats (weatered leather is OK), working guages and good
original or well restored wood. Car should run good, shift well and stop ok
with no serious defects.  Now I know that determining condition is VERY
subjective but that's why appraisers are a necessary evil. A book can give
one some guidelines but each car has some variation that is not covered in
a simple formula.

Cheers, and thanks for any help you might be able to give;

Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA