Where did it begin for you?

To: British-Cars@AUTOX.TEAM.NET
Subject: Where did it begin for you?
From: harrold@INDYVAX.IUPUI.EDU (Dick Harold)
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 22:21:21 -0600
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 11:07:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Anthony Case <easu816@ea.oac.uci.edu>

----- some text deleted -----

        So, out of curiosity I`d like to know how it all started for you all?
Was it something that you saw on television as a child? Maybe a car that
a neighbor had? Perhaps a James Bond movie? There`s got to be a ton of
great stories out there!

----- clip here -----

Since television wasn't around when I was a kid, I'm not sure just what
corrupted me.  I was born in a big city but moved to a small town before I
could drive.  Small tows, at least at that time, didn't seem to take to
those small, funny looking and noisy little foreign jobs.  You could pull
into any small town gas station with an American car that was 20 years old
and made by some long defunct manufacturer and get it repaired in 20
minutes.  But, if you drove in with a 6-month-old Brit car, the old boy
would take one look at it and say something like, "Ain't got no parts for
that thing.  Better take it back where you got 'er."

Somewhere along the line a friend left our community and ventured out into
the real world only to return driving a bright red TR.  He let me drive it
one cool spring night and that seemed to do the trick.  It wasn't long
before I too left for the outside world and found myself test driving Jags,
Austin Healeys, MGs and other such cars.  Actually my first British vehicle
came along much later When I purchased a Metropolitan soft top.  That was
in '58 and I'm still driving the breed.  My desire for a taste of home (My
father's side of the family all came from Great Britain.) continues as I
search for just the right pre '65 Bentley.

Dick