Re: MGA frozen clutch

To: Croaker the Physician <markl@us.oracle.com>, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA frozen clutch
From: "Doug Mitchell" <doug@dsg128.nad.ford.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 13:05:45 -0500
On Jan 30,  9:13am, Croaker the Physician wrote:
> Subject: MGA frozen clutch

[Background on diagnosis deleted]

> Now, how do I unstick it?  I have no real garage facilities, certainly
> nothing that would let me pull the motor.  The prosepect of having the car
> towed to O'Connors just doesn't fill me with joy.  I've had a suggestion that
> I put the car in gear, put on the handbrake, stomp on the brake and the
> clutch, and just pull the starter knob, but I'm concerned about damaging the
> starter.  I *might* be able to push-start the car, but it is in a communal
> underground garage with little room for maneuvering, and a fairly steep grade
> to get out on to the street.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> markl
>
> ----------
> Mark L. Lambert
>-- End of excerpt from Croaker the Physician

When this has happened to me in the past, what I have done is to get the
car nicely warmed up, and then start the car in gear. Usually after
driving the car about 50 feet, a liberal application of brakes and clutch
frees everything up again.

I have an old stair railing that I cut down to the required length, and
wedge that in between the frame crossmember and the clutch pedal. This
keeps the pedal down, and keeps the driven disc separate from the cover
plate and flywheel. When I remember to put it in place, the clutch never
freezes anything. :)

Doug Mitchell - I'm not worried this year, the trans is out, and the clutch
will be renewed before it goes back in.