Noisy GT6 rear-end

To: "internet:british-cars@au" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noisy GT6 rear-end
From: "MICHAEL H. WARNER" <74737.2761@compuserve.com>
Date: 28 Jan 95 21:13:37 EST
Searching for a GT6 expert!

A few weeks back, I was helping a friend change the universal joints in his 1971
GT6 Mark 3.  We were changing the half shaft universal joints to try to
eliminate a grinding sound that would occur only when he would go around a
corner.  During this process, we found that the half shafts were pinned.  That
is, the splined fit between each half of the half shaft (hope my grammer is
correct) had been pinned.

Is this supposed to be like this, or should this be a sliding fit (like a TR6).
Could this be a PO's  attempt to eliminate wear in this joint.  BTW, the
roto-flex couplings had been changed by the PO just before he sold the car and
were still in good shape.

Hope someone out there can help

Thanks,

Mike  '73 TR6     (74737.2761@compuserve.com)