Re: STILL no Start!

To: tomstory@slip.net (Thomas Story)
Subject: Re: STILL no Start!
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 13:27:48 -0500
++> starting spray if the ignition was even close? I checked the
++> valves...Help!!!...and thank you.

        I hate to say it but... Are you sure which cylinder is
number 1? (its the front I think).  I've seen starting fluid not
do anything except soak the plugs (but it was VERY cold that
morning)
        Now, I never said this... pour some gas in the intake, make
sure the carb is open (damper up, throttle plate open).  It will do
something if there is a spark - fire, backfire, catch on fire.  Just
don't put too much gas in the intake (I'm talking about a teaspoon
or so and have a fire extinguisher handy)
        If you have raw gas entering the cylinders and not being
burned, you should be able to smell it at the exhaust pipe.  If you
can smell gas in the exhaust and you are sure you have a spark,
then you have must have the spark occuring at exactly the wrong
time, or it isn't sparking.  Fuel and air will burn whether
compressed or not.

--
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI