RE: copper brake pipes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: copper brake pipes
From: "Mark N. Pacey" <M.N.Pacey@sheffield.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 1995 09:26:31
> A while back, someone roumered that the "copper" lines sold in
> England were actaully copper clad steel- could someone who has
> access to them either verify or dispell this please? They would be
> made of a different alloy than plumbing copper.

When I use them, as far as I could tell, they were copper all the way
through.  I don't know about the alloy used for copper brake pipes,
but the greater wall thickness and the smaller pipe radius of the
brake pipes compared with plumbers pipe would reduce the stress in
the copper for a given pressure and allow the greater pressures used
in a braking system to be used.

Mark