Re: Seeking NET-WISDOM for MGB V8 conversion.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seeking NET-WISDOM for MGB V8 conversion.
From: RLDesign@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 13:58:39 -0500
> The aluminum block sounds like a good way to
> go as suspension would probably handle the change
> as the weight wouldbe similar to the B series
> engine.(Yes No?).

Yes. The Buick/Rover V8 is actually about 20lbs >lighter< than the MGB motor,
though I suspect that a suitable transmission would make up the difference
(Rover SD1 5-speeds are choice for this, I understand). On a 1976 MGB, it
would fit right in, too, as the "rubber" MGB's engine bay way sorta
pre-adapted to this powerplant (at least as far as exhaust clearances, etc.,
are concerned). There's a gentleman up here in the Pacific NW who has a
factory MGB V8 roadster prototype circa 1980, which he picked up in England.

That said, I can't really figure out why folks want to swap engines into and
out of their various LBCs. V8 Austin Healeys are my particular bane. The
heart of any of these cars are their admittedly (in some cases) crude but
willing and indestructible power plants. And why anyone would trade the sweet
sound of a Healey six for the wuffle of a V8 with an el-dweebo slapstick
tranny, I don't know. And, inevitably, V8 conversions seem to go with tuck
'n' roll interiors, flared wheel arches, silly custom registrations, and
hideous wheels.

Not that I feel strongly about it. :^>

--Roger, the Originality Snob