copper brake lines, radios

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: copper brake lines, radios
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 12:21:24 -0500
 Question: does anyone have an opinion about copper brake piping?
          Pro or con? For or against? Been thinking about ordering
          a piping kit from the UK for the Vitesse and wondering if
          just making do with do-it-yourself steel piping would
          be just as good and worth it.

        I went through this a few months ago.  My decision: pre-made brake
lines are a little too expensive - copper or not.  So, I ended up making my own
(always the best solution IMHO).  I cut all the end fittings off my lines and
got them replated with the rest of the fasteners.  The local auto store sells
aluminum coated steel brake line in 25 foot lengths (10 - 15 bucks).
I bought a double flaring tool (cheapy ~ 25 bucks) at Sears.  The flaring tool
is easy to use (both double and bubble flares).  I can make a line in about
15 minutes to a 1/2 hour depending on how complicated the shape is.  Also, I
found very little need for a bending tool.  I think you can get by using your
hands and a really cheap bending tool.  The results look as good as anything you
can buy.

        If you want, you can send the 150 bucks that copper lines cost along
with your the lengths and fittings from you old lines to me.  I'll make you
a new set. :-)  ... and if they fail, I never heard of you ....

---
William Woodruff        woodruff@caen.engin.umich.edu
Ann Arbor MI