Re[2]: Eastwood spotweld cutter ...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, SeanFJohns@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: Eastwood spotweld cutter ...
From: kendallr@Internet.chey.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 95 08:27:36 EST

 >I recently cut thru a bunch of spot welds using an Eastwood spot weld cutter.
 >One thing I did was to use some 3-in-1 oil as a lubricant for the but.  I
>figure that if they use lubricants and cooling fluids on machine tools, it
>will help preserve the bit.

>I'm still using the original bit after 30-40 welds, so it must have done some
>good.

>I did buy a small pumch to dimple the weld center prior to using the Eastwood
>tool.  I found this helps keep the tool centered until the bits have carved a
>path in the metal.  This is also helpful on welds on curved surfaces.

          I used the Eastwood spot weld cutter a few years ago when I was
          removing the rocker panels from my MGB.  The tool worked very
          well, except that I went through quite a few of the replaceable
          "cutters" that actually do all the work.  Fortunately, I worked
          ten minutes up the road from Eastwood at the time, so I could
          quickly and easily pick up new cutters.

          In my opinion, the tool is a worth while investment.  I agree
          with everyone who says you need to punch or drill a clear dimple
          as a guide for when you first start the cut.  The drawbacks, that
          I can think of, are:

           The "cutters" can be very fragile

           The cost of replacing the cutters (order extras when you order
           the tool) is annoying.

           You still need to do a fair amount of cleanup (grinding) after
           you've drilled the welds and removed the panel.

          Kendall