ANGLE DRIVES

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: ANGLE DRIVES
From: Allen.Bachelder@vt.edu (Allen Bachelder)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 1995 16:58:43 -0500
Peter Schaus, Dave Lapham, Bob Bownes: I have opened a couple
of right angle drives from speedos...

Richard Mutt: the brake pedal on my 74 B was soft. I bled the
system several times with a "Mighty-Vac". No leaks in the
system. I rebuilt the master cylinder...and blew out a front
flex line. Replace both front flex lines. The pedal is still
soft. I thought all B's had soft pedals. This spring I will
replace the rear flex line.

Alan

There is also a Nicholson Speedo shop - in Greensboro NC, I believe - that
rebuilds B angle drives for less  than $40 - or did about three years ago.
If an angle drive at the transmission breaks, it usually means something
else downstream is amuk.  Check/lubricate your cable.  The speedo head
could be binding also.  You can eliminate the angle drive at the trans
altogether on the MGB - use the Overdrive type speedo cable - in the
catalogs it is the longest one sold - there is enough cable and enough room
to gently curve the cable directly into the trans without an angle drive.
It works beautifully.

Brakes:  Presuming your rear adjusters are set right, are your rear shoes
installed correctly?  If the leading shoe is upside-down, the brakes can be
"soft".

' Hope this helps.  I can get the exact address of Nicholson's if you're
interested.

Allen Bachelder