IGNITION SYSTEM 78/79MGB

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: IGNITION SYSTEM 78/79MGB
From: john.bartholomew@amail.amdahl.com
Date: Thursday, 19 January 1995 10:36 PT
While everyone is focused on ignition systems......

Fellow SOLers I need some help answering the following...
I have a late model MGB that appears to have an upgraded ignition
system. I say appears because my "B" is a late 78 registered 79 and
the distributor is the 45DM (magnetic pickup), but not the integral
ignition module. The 3 wire connector that connects to the ignition
module is taped back and a lucas AB14 ELECTRONIC IGNITION AMPLIFIER
(47261A)  installed in its place. This is actually installed under
the coil, the coil mounting bolts pass through the ignition amp and
hold both the coil and amp to the inner fender. I assume the PO had
a problem and the system was upgraded....Maybe not?
I have a couple of questions...
1/. Is this standard, ie. a factory change installed before delivery
at say the dealer? My manual shows the integral amp/distribtor as
the standard for this year model. If this change was incorporated
for new production (late 79 and 80) was the "ballast resistor"
eliminated? I can't seem to locate one, at least there is nothing
like what is fitted to my 76. Was there a change, different type?
2/. The coil is one that needs the ballast,16C6(45251A), so I think
there should be one....UNLESS the AB14 AMP takes care of this?
Anyone out there ..been there..done this..???? All and any input
wil be gratefully received. Thank's in advance.
John.Bartholomew
            John Bartholomew  AMDAHL SAN JOSE CA.
         Opinions are my own, not those of my employer.
        78 MGB, restoring 76 MGB, 72 MGB daily transport.
408-944-3592 (07:00-16:00 PDT)  via internet   jdb70@amail.amdahl.com